What is Shoulder Prehab?
Prehab…some people love the term…some people hate it.
In short, it’s all about performing exercises designed to prevent injuries. So, shoulder prehab is performing shoulder exercises t0 help you avoid shoulder injuries. Some things to consider:
- doing shoulder prehab exercises doesn’t guarantee you won’t injure your shoulder
- there are many shoulder exercises and programs
- your shoulder program should target weak, tight muscles
- your shoulder prehab program should involve strengthening the muscles, stretching techniques and sport specific drills
Here are a couple of videos from the guys at Athletes Arena in Irmo, South Carolina. Please note:
- little or no weight is used
- stretching of the thoracic spine is involved
- no special equipment…except an exercise ball, that you can get cheaply
More Advanced Shoulder Prehab Exercises
This is another video from the Athletes Arena and it does involve using some special equipment. But you shouldn’t have any trouble locating a kettlebell, exercise tubing and a ball.
Here’s Your Shoulder Homework
- Give these shoulder prehab exercises a try and let me know what you think.
- Sign up to receive our shoulder updates via email. Simple to do and you won’t have to keep checking for updates.